Thursday, July 5, 2018

About Me - Pezzer

About Me - Pezzer

G'day Everyone,
After several years of sitting back and watching from a far, my kids suggested that I should get out of my shed and start sharing my knowledge (what little I have) to the wider 3D Printer community. So here I am....


A brief overview of my 3D Printer experience

I have been interested and employed in Electronics and Robotics industry for the past 22 years. In 2009, I discovered a home CNC machining and 3D Printing which came from my other passion and hobby - RC model aircraft. 


PhlatPrinter Mk3

I purchased a PhlatPrinter Mk3 which is a CNC machine for cutting thin material like foam or balsa wood to make foamy RC planes and found that it could cut up to 6mm MDF so I decided use it to build my own 3D Printer. And then this 3D printer was meant to be used to make Model Aircraft parts that I was finding difficult purchase or to make by hand.


For info I purchased the Phlatprinter from Openbuilds.com Phlatprinter MK-3

I moved away from RC aircraft not to long after I started up 3D printing.. LOL


My First 3D Printer - RepRap Prusa Air 2


So after a look around the WWW for some time I decided to build a RepRap design, the Prusa Air 2 From Mecano design at Air 2 by Mecano - Thingiverse and running a RAMPS setup.

















This became a long and very steep learning curve for me and I went through a lot of stressful sessions wondering what to do next to get this stupid machine to work…..

At the time there was limited 3D Printer suppliers out there and the designs for the hot ends were very limited too. 

So, I had improvise quite a bit to get prints done. But I persevered, learnt lots of lessons adapting my printing then upgrading to suit my needs ( I did this quite a few times) Then it all started to fall into place to the point where I was creating some really unusual and awesome things and they were not model aircraft related.

BUT!!!

I was finding setting up for each print was becoming very time consuming and various issues were producing a lot of failed prints. This lead me to walk away from 3D Printing in 2014 as it had become frustrating and time consuming.

At the beginning of 2015 I was involved in a robotics challenge and required specific parts that were required to be 3D printed, so I dusted off the old Air 2 and started again. But I was still in the same place with setup and failed prints.



Creality3D CR-10


So, I bit the bullet and upgraded myself to a Creality3D CR-10 S4 in mid-2016. And all I have to say is “WOW” what an improvement.


I purchased it from GearBest here: Creality3D CR-10s














Anet E10



With the success of the Creality Printer I decided to get a smaller unit and aquired an Anet E10 that has been very rewarding.

I have designed a couple of parts for this printer and published them on Thingiverse and I have a few more that I need to sit down and finish off before publishing them.

You can purchase the Anet E10 from GearBest here: Anet E10 3D Printer









GeeeTech A10


Now I am Trying out a GeeeTech A10 that I have just received and looking forward to using.
Check out my Review here: GeeeTech A10 Review
And Check it out at GearBest here: GeeeTech A10 3D Printer

No comments:

Post a Comment